Yorktown, VA -- The site of the end of the
War for Independence. It was incredible that the original canvas
headquarters tent from Washington's campaign has survived and been
preserved as it would have been used by him at this time. A definite
time capsule.
The museum has many original artifacts,
especially artillery pieces from this period. I spent several hours
here in retrospection.
The living history museum includes many
displays portraying what life was like for the soldiers of the time.
I also enjoyed my visit to the Moore
house where the documents were signed to end the hostilities.
It is interesting to see the
battlefields and the fortifications used, so different from the Civil
War sites I've seen.
I especially appreciated the picture
and story of Revolutionary War veteran Nicholas Veeder, from Scotia,
NY.
Significant monument to the end of the
War of Independence.
You can always take the man out of New York, but you can never take the New York out of the man.
ReplyDelete