Lake Mills, Iowa. The important influence of the Norwegian immigrants is celebrated in many parts of
the North Central US. North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin all
have museums dedicated to the Norwegian heritage and their settling
in these areas in the late 1800s through early 1900s. I remember the
stories, Bud, of your Grandfather coming to this area before moving
to Saskatchewan. Those stories helped make this area and these acts
of respect more relevant for me. Here is an example of one
communities' tribute. I met the husband and grandson of the woman who
spearheaded the effort to erect this statue and create a mini-park.
They were doing some maintenance on the bricks, but were kind enough
to move their tools so I could get these pics.
These are called Freedom Rocks and this
artist is painting one for every county in Iowa (99, I believe) and
has completed around 70 so far. While the tribute to women who served
in the Civil War, WWI & II, Korea and Vietnam, isn't one of the
official county stones, it completes the intent of honouring those
who have served. It sits at the Iowa welcome centre, picturesque
information centre designed in the shape of a typical dairy farm from
the turn of the 20th century.
This is the veteran's park in Lake
Mills. Again a fitting tribute to veterans from Iowa. This is one of the "official" freedom stones. They often have dedications to veterans who have gone on to serve their country after their military service.
Hey Bud, Not Lyle E. Larson, but close!. :)
Another fine place to boondock, just a
few miles from Mills Lake. This is a boat launch on a nearby Rice Lake.
Added 2 more birds to my life list. While I was here, about a dozen
Great Egrets paid a visit.




What were the two more birds?
ReplyDelete