On to Saskatchewan, after a few stops in the Crowsnest. Decided to drop down into Montana from Swift Current. The road was newly paved for quite a while and then suddenly there was MAJOR construction and no road at all, to speak of. Reminder to self, check road conditions before exploring new areas. Made it to the border but it closed at 9pm. Spent the night at the border crossing, after opening every cupboard, very carefully, and putting things right again. What a bumpy road! I did manage to get up to 30 km/hr for a bit. Woke up surrounded by mule deer and had another good birding experience as there was a small thicket near the trailer and quite a bit of activity in the early morning hours (Eastern & Western kingbirds, loggerhead shrikes, bald eagle, ++). After a somewhat lengthy chat with the border guard, I continued on to the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge. 




I spent 3 nights here and had some incredible adventures birding, biking and driving. I drove into the Montana backcountry along the Missouri River – quite the variety of habitats and vistas. Good birding but my best wildlife encounters were in my campground. It wasn't very busy there (only 4 other campers) and I had 5 mule deer and 3 white-tailed deer walk past; as well as 4 turkey vultures and a great horned owl in the trees close to my trailer. 




On my last night I had a lynx checking out my bbq less than 10 feet from my window as I was eating a late supper. What an incredible experience! it stayed for about 3-4 minutes, probably wondering about the strange cat-like sounds that were coming from inside the trailer. 




I had left my camera in the truck because I was heading out early and it was almost dark. My phone was off because there wasn't any cell service – so no pictures, except, of course in my mind's eye.

Comments

  1. Wow beautiful! The last pic is similar to the badlands of Alta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures, sounds like some exciting times. Hmmm cat like sounds - wonder what was making that LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog